Monday, June 18, 2012

A Day At The Ballpark

A Thursday day-game offered the opportunity to go to the ballpark, watch the home team and get some sun. So I contacted friends who agreed to attend the Giants-Astros game. From left to right, they are Kale, Laura and Dave.


At the time, we couldn't know that the night before our game, on June 13, Giant pitcher Matt Cain would throw only the 22nd perfect game in major league history and the first in team history. The score was 10-0 by the 5th inning. As I listened on the radio, I remember thinking, "Save some runs for tomorrow."

Our group met up at a bar about four short blocks on a downhill amble from AT&T Park. When Dave made the recommendation through e-mail, I thought the place was called the "2nd Amendment".  So, just before going, I double-checked my Constitution to verify the right to bear arms. Imagining guns racks and shotguns beneath counters, I looked forward to going to such an establishment in liberal San Francisco. But I had got it wrong:



Inside the 21st Amendment, I only found booze, beer and baseball fans. The game started at 12:45 and I was the first to arrive at 11:30. I found a place at the bar and ordered a "South-5", an ale named, I imagined for the interstate freeway. (I didn't challenge that preconception.) The crowd grew as game time approached, and the TVs were showing the U.S. Open from across town.

Dave and Laura showed up, as did Kale later. Kale had a special challenge in getting to the game: a fire near BART tracks resulted in the cross-Bay subway being shut down. But he made it and we enjoyed a drink together before heading to the park. We entered through the 2nd Street gate. (Aha. I just realized that since the bar was on 2nd Street, I must have substituted 2nd for 21st. How the mind works!)


As the clock shows, it was five minutes to game time and a crowd massed to get past security and ticket check. Happily, we made it through quickly and found our seats in lower box section 135, seats 18-21. (21 again. In fact, my ticket shows row 21, seat 21.)

Our seats were near the left field foul pole and we recognized the need to watch for fly balls. Line drives, especially, Kale cautioned. 


 Sure enough, a fly ball landed just inside the gate (lower left in the picture). It bounced high over our heads and was fought over by fans four rows behind us.  Watching the ball leave the bat and soar to us, its majestic arc thrilled me and reminded me of playing ball as a kid.

The Astros hit two homers, a grand slam and a solo one. Both landed in the left field stands. Majestic they were, but not so thrilling for the home team. Each time the crowd hollered, "Throw it back!" Each time, the white pill landed back on the green field.


Giant Brandon Belt hit a "splash hit" home run over the right field wall into the Bay, but it wasn't enough. The home team lost 6-3.




* * *
Follow my blog-novel at my other blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment